Key virtues of the plan
- Highly targeted to a precise area around SodaStream distribution outlets.
- Delivered a local multi-layered campaign which appeared “national” to potential purchasers.
- Executed the campaign within 4 weeks, which included managing content creation.
- Brought an iconic brand back to TV.
- Delivered additional value in the form of facilitating partnership with Sky Ocean Rescue team and free competition with Picturehouse.
Background and objectives
SodaStream approached Pintarget with two key challenges: overcoming low distribution and outdated brand perception. Within these two constraints the brief was simple – to drive sales.
Pre-Christmas they had the opportunity to test sales viability in 80 major Boots stores spread across the country. Our task was to shift units both instore and online to a level that would encourage Boots to reorder and also build awareness of the new positioning of the brand. The total budget was under £400,000.
Our solution was to target every Boots store and create 80 mini hyper-local campaigns using Sky AdSmart, local cinema, VoD, extensive social media and mobile/digital display within a 5 mile store radius allowing us to cover the whole local customer journey. We used digital escalator panels to provide an upweight in London.
Added value was delivered through meeting between Sky Ocean Rescue team and SodaStream to collectively work on the anti-plastic campaign, a distribution deal with 12k Sky staff and a free competition with Picturehouse.
We targeted potential customers at home, on the move, and on the way to store and instore. We turned web content into powerful TV ads in less than a month by spending less than 5% of the media budget.
The campaign exceeded all targets, both in terms of communication and sales delivery. The ultimate accolade is that Boots have continued to stock SodaStream and SodaStream are committed to continue with our strategy and approach in 2019.
“PINTARGET have presented a mind-blowing marketing approach, which is being used as a blueprint for worldwide marketing. The turnaround times have been fantastic in such a short time and it’s a credit to yourselves and the team. Less than a month is impressive.”
General Manager, SodaStream UK
- SodaStream met sales targets and it is still in distribution in Boots.
- Prompted recall was nearly 21%, 12.1 points higher than control (versus a norm of 1.3 points.)
- Spontaneous awareness was 6.5%, 2.5 points higher than control (versus a norm of 0.6 points) indicating that the advertising was memorable.
- Key messages recalled included convenience and that SodaStream is good for the environment.
- Purchasing intent was particularly impressive at 1.7%